Arizona Mildman here. I don't understand what is going on exactly, with the people who want to be "independent" of everyone else's thinking. No one on an independent ticket has ever won a presidency. Independents like Ron Paul call themselves that, but actually vote more conservative than most Republicans, runs on the Republican ticket, and uses the constitution as an excuse for everything he does. That is called RHETORIC. Let me explain what the problem that I see is.
A) There are basically two types of people. 1) Conservatives , 2) Liberals. I wish to say for the record that either/or thinking or black and white thinking is a block to critical thinking but one is MOSTLY one or the other and that determines how you define yourself as we are forced by society and our own conscience to "Pick a lane" or side. Now as far as human instinct goes and genetic predisposition to things go, it is determined that most people are BORN one or the other unless they are a complete sociopath.
B) The definition of the words Liberal and Conservative need to be defined to the American people.
I am going to give you the two number one definitions for conservative directly from the dictionary:
disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., orto restore traditional ones, and to limit change.
liberal [lib-er-uhl, lib-ruhl]
1. favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religiousaffairs.
NOW, please tell me what the reason is that some people are now trying to independently call themselves "PROGRESSIVES". Do they think we don't know what the word progressive means? Do they not understand that the first three words in the definition of the word "liberal" are "...favorable to progress..."? I will define something for those of you who are too uneducated or simple minded to understand it.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PROGRESSIVE CONSERVATIVE, THAT IS AN OXYMORON.
THE WORD CONSERVATIVE MEANS "...disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change...". THIS IS NOT PROGRESSIVE, THIS IS THE OPPOSITE.
Let me explain my present theory on why people seem to be born conservative. Most human beings are born with what is known as a flight or fight mechanism built into their psyche that causes them to defend themselves no matter how non -violent they have become. This is called preservation instinct. When people learn how to manage people, the first thing they are taught is how to threaten people so that these people who are managed will fear the consequences of not following orders. Many American parents teach their children to fear them and call it respect. Then these people become scared of life and become easily afraid to venture out into the world and make their own mistakes because they don't want to learn the hard way. A lot of these people are governed by religions that teach them that they already have all the right answers if they read a certain religious book so they never develop critical thinking. Critical thinking is necessary in order to properly do anything analytical, like any form or research, scientific or otherwise. The dictionary says that critical thinking is: "...disciplined thinking that is clear, rational, open-minded, and informed by evidence...". There is a definite set of problems for some people, they are called "blocks to critical thinking" and if we rely on any of them during a time of judgement and speculation, then, we can't think critically.
The main blocks to critical thinking are: 1) Ethnocentricity 2) Cultural Conditioning,3) Reliance on Authority, 4) Hasty Moral Judgment, 5) Black and White Thinking, 6) Labels, and 7) Resistance to Change.
1) Ethnocentricism or Ethnocentricity is the belief in the inherent superiority of one's own ethnic group or culture and/or a tendency to view alien groups or cultures from the perspective of one's own.
2) Cultural Conditioning refers to the way society’s attitudes and beliefs are passed on, which has a tendency to happen to all of us.
3) Reliance on Authority is referring to believing what the authority believes. The authority is an expert outside of our own beliefs or experience.
4) Hasty Moral Judgment is evaluating someone on how they look, their background and their associations.
5) Black and White Thinking refers to the thinking of placing things in either / or categories.
6) Labels (like liberal or conservative, two party thinking, etc.) are an example of stereotyping. To say that all people are this or that is ignorant, incorrect, and wrong.
7) Resistance to change means change from status quo or from existing conditions that are outdated, outmoded, or archaic. The reason so many people in our society right now are confused is their fear about facing the fact that things have changed for us and it's time to do something different. If the past methods worked, we wouldn't be in this position and resistance to change means we are going backwards instead of forwards. There is no standing still, we are either going up or down. Statistics can stay the same but life keeps changing and moving all day long. Progress requires Change and Resistance to Change means Resistance to Progress. That ISN'T progressive.
Being "kind of conservative" means that you are open to listening to another point of view but not willing to change anything. That is like saying, "I will listen to what you have to say, but my mind is made up."
There is a quote from a man named Herbert Spencer that I feel is quite appropriate here, "...There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Don't call yourself Progressive if you don't want to progress and change in a forward direction.