Wednesday, January 2, 2013

We Need To Stop Kidding Ourselves

For years I have tried to understand the minds of conservatives. Selfish, self centered, and completely lacking in any legitimate form of critical thinking. That last part is important because it gives us two clues. The blocks to critical thinking are built into mainstream religion as a manner of control Let me explain.
As I have stated before in previous posts, the first three blocks to critical thinking are 1)  Cultural Conditioning and Egocentric Thinking, 2) Ethnocentric Thinking, and 3) Reliance on Authority Figures.
No one that I have ever talked to, at about eight years old or younger, just decides one day that he or she is going to join a specific religion, so that is usually thrust upon us. My family was the normal protestant middle class family in Arizona. I was not told to go out and pick a religion, I was told, "We are Methodists". No one asked me if I wanted to be a Methodist, I was simply told that was what I was. I once asked why and was told by my mother that was what her family was, as if it was a law that you had to be the same religion as your parents, something you inherited. Parents try to "indoctrinate" their children into their own favorite religion, without a single thought that as an individual, you have the right to be who or what you want to be and that you might want to be different or even not religious at all, when you are grown.
Some parents believe that it gives them a solid foundation of some kind as if that is important. They want their child to believe like they do, is what it really is and most people try not to face the fact that they are actually trying to "mold" young minds in their own likes and dislikes. I could go into the entire reason behind why I am not a Christian but that is a religious discussion and I will save that for another post. Today I am talking about conservatism. It is described as :  "...a political and social philosophy that promotes retaining traditional social institutions."  and "...the disposition to preserve or restore what is established and traditional and to limit change." The unfortunate thing that comes from this is many of these people remain a "follower" of said religion and then grow up believing that they never need to research or learn anything new because they have all the answers if they just listen to their minister, deacon, priest, rabbi, etc. Then the clergyman tells them to follow what certain politicians or religious leaders / philosophical teachers to find answers. We have already come to follow because we are told that is a testimony of our faith and we want to be "strong in faith" because we are taught as children in a lot of families in this country that you will go to some form of paradise as a reward for having faith, or go to some form of punishment in an existence we can't see if we don't have the right amount of faith. So when we pray and that doesn't work we are told it was our fault because we didn't have enough faith. I am a literal person so I looked up the word faith, and let me read it to you; "...belief that is not based on proof".

No comments:

Post a Comment