Saturday, June 1, 2013

My Letter to Barack Obama

Today I wrote a letter to the president about the student loan interest debacle that I am tired of hearing about. Mr. Obama himself said that it was like putting an unfair tax on higher education. This is what I wrote:

"...Mr. President,
I hope you can get a chance to read this. I am sure I am not the first one to say it, but I am disgusted with the Republican party, which has become the "Rich Old White Man's Club" and as Colin Powell said, they don't treat minorities "very well" including him. William A. Henry III wrote an article/essay years ago that he called "In Defense of Eliteism". In reading it I realized that there is a group of people in the United States who believe they are the elite, ruling class, an aristocrats. They think they are necessary to the well being of the United States of America as leaders. They are the type of people who developed the electoral college based on the idea that some people aren't smart or have enough wisdom to vote properly so they divided it up with a completely corruptible system that has nothing to do with equality. As someone who was actually the head of the Harvard Law Review, I am sure you saw plenty of that.
You were recently quoted as saying that putting a huge interest rate on student loans is like having to pay a tax for higher education and that is correct. They are doing that on purpose. The elite wealthy want only their own kind to have the chance to get an good education. That is the reason for this. They oppose people like you who break the pseudo science that they invented saying that African Americans and other minorities, including mixed race children were somehow incapable of rising to greatness because they weren't mentally capable. You proved that is wrong. They hate that.
I think some of what I am saying needs to be said on a national level. I am a white male who dates black women. At one time that was illegal and in some places it is still unacceptable. I was at first outside my comfort zone but I discovered the only difference is cultural backgrounds. Later, as I studied Sociology, I was told that there is no more than two percent of our entire DNA that is different between any two human beings on earth. Those are the parts of us that determine features, hair, skin color, basically just how we look. That should be mentioned or taught somehow to the general adult public on a regular basis.
These people have convinced themselves through some form of cognitive dissonance or self delusion that they are correct. I mean that. Delusion means 1. having false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions, OR 2. maintaining fixed false beliefs even when confronted with facts, usually as a result of mental illness. What I see in some of us is like a mental illness. This bothers me. I think there needs to be a legal outlet for public education at an adult level. You can't force people to believe anything but if they get arrested often enough for participating in hateful crimes towards others there needs to be a system entitled "Hate Management" just like "Anger Management" so a judge can sentence someone to attend classes each time they decide they are above the law.
I saw on the news lately that there was a woman who was charged with an ASBO. I had to look that up. It stands for Anti Social Behavior Offense. I believe that was in the UK. That should become a federal law in the U.S.
My big problem here is usually always with Christians. Some churches teach the definitive Rabinic law from the old testament. This teaches that people are divided into a hierarchy and some people use that as an excuse for hate. The system as set up in the bible says that God is above Church, Church is above Man, Rich Men are above Poor Men, Men are above Women, and All Men are above Animals. That is built in as a manner of teaching hatred because it teaches that one person is above others and that means that it is alright to discriminate. You and I know that is NOT what it means but that is the way it was when we quit living in caves and not much changed in some parts of the world since then. It is the antithesis of EQUALITY. Even though the founding fathers owned slaves, they wrote something good into the constitution. They said that all men were created equal. That may not be entirely correct but our human rights should be equal, no matter what is said by anyone.
I have thought and studied about this for ages. What is lacking in people whom, we and they themselves call conservatives, is that they lack critical thinking skills. When they were raised as children they were taught that they already had all the answers if they just followed what their authority figures (Political and Religious leaders) told them so they never developed critical thinking, they only learned how to memorize and follow. I think this following quote said it best,
"... There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way though our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov ..."
That is the problem. Someone needs to say it from your vantage point in life with the power of the office given you. I don't envy you this task. Even if you don't use those words, the meaning must be clear that,  their ignorance isn't as valid as someone else's knowledge. As anyone who uses critical thinking knows, people like Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Ann Coulter, and the entire Fox News team make a living off of doing exactly that - acting as if ignorance is justifiable because it deserves equal time with true factual knowledge. That is not free speech, it is free emotionalism.
Thank you for fighting the good fight. I hope you get what you want in office, as I believe anyone who wants to see this country moving forwards agrees with me. I appreciate your efforts and want you to know that I believe in you and what you stand for.
Thank You.
Sincerely,
Arizona Mildman in Phoenix, Arizona  "


I hope someone there at the White House reads it.

No comments:

Post a Comment