Sunday, September 21, 2014

Let's Just Move On

This is in response to the article in "The New Yorker" by Andy Borowitz, entitled, "Largest Climate-Change March in History Unlikely to Convince Idiots", which is, unfortunately, quite true, despite the fact that Mr Borowitz, a very funny writer and author, is making light of the situation.  http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/largest-climate-change-march-history-unlikely-convince-idiots?
Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) once said, “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”
I contend that the time to allow ignorant people to debate the climate change facts (or for that matter, any facts) is long over. There is no greater proof of the quote by Isaac Asimov about the culture of ignorance in the United States than, the supposed debate over climate change. As I have posted that quote repeatedly whenever I am faced with the wilful ignorance of regressives, and it goes,
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' "
The same people who insist that "Critical thinking is against God's will." need to be ignored and we need to move on.
Here is my suggestion:
We need about 4 states to start with - that go completely green energy so the rest of the nation can see how easy it is and then they will eventually follow suit. The American progressives never before have waited for the stupid of our society to understand. We just went ahead and changed and waited for the dinosaurs that call themselves conservatives (but are actually regressives) to eventually stare at the floor, and instead of admitting they were wrong, sheepishly follow along and then, eventually, try to act like it was their idea all along.
Here is what I have done in the past. I acted like they gave me an idea through misquoting something they said, that was similar to the actual truth. I thanked them for their idea and said I would have never thought of it myself. Then I watched and waited as they returned to their usual smug attitude and acted like they were superior, since that is what they think anyway. But, and this is the point I wish to make here, I didn't wait for them to understand, I just acted like I assumed they already did understand, making them have to regroup in order to keep from admitting they were wrong and losing face in their own minds because that is the whole reason that they about new ideas to begin with, because they think they already have all the answers. It isn't their fault, they have been indoctrinated to believe that and therefore lack critical thinking skills, because if you think you already have all the answers, why would you bother to seek for truth in new and unknown avenues in the world? 

No comments:

Post a Comment