Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Today's Reply From John McCain's Office

On November 23rd, I read something that unnerved me, a racist statement by Ira Hansen from Nevada and I wrote to John McCain. What I said was, "Incoming Nevada Assembly Speaker Ira Hansen of the Republican Party said in a statement publicly that, "...the relationship of Negroes and Democrats is truly a master-slave relationship. with the benevolent master knowing what's best for his simple minded darkies."
He actually said this out loud. I don't have the time or patience to explain how many levels on which this is completely wrong and racially insensitive and insulting to fellow Democrats, since I am caucasian, progressive, and not a Christian (as I know several places in the bible and other religious texts that it not only never speaks out against slavery, it condone it and actually gives instructions on "how to" own and treat slaves).
You have a choice. It is bad enough that so many of your party use race as a vote rallying tool, but condoning this language and this ignorance publicly is apathy. Apathy means you don't care, which means you ignore racism amongst your party. Some members of your party have tried really hard to keep from wording anything that might even have the slightest hint of being racially insensitive, much less racist. But this blatant attempt to convince racists that their motives are pure and giving them an excuse to call racism "correct" and rational, instead of what it is, ignorance and fear, coupled with hate from generations of the mutual admiration society that tells each other that they are the "right kind" of people, and deserve to look down on other human beings. It makes me glad to be progressive, it makes me glad to be Buddhist, and it makes me glad to be a man who stands up for and voices his condemnation of people who think they are better than everyone else.
I will be waiting to hear about your condemnation of his behavior in the Arizona Republican and AZcentral.com
Thank You In Advance,
And today, December 3rd, 2014 I received this reply:
"...
Dear Mr. Walker:

      Thank you for sharing your views with me. I am pleased that you took the time to write.
      Your concerns, opinions and views are important to me and help me do a better job in
       the United States Senate. Your input on this matter is of much value to me. 
      Again, thank you for your recent correspondence.

         Sincerely,

        John McCain
        United States Senator

 JM/JS

No comments:

Post a Comment